Ever since its inception on February 3, 1902, Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center grew from a wooden structure in the heart of Baguio City to a tertiary healthcare, training and research facility and soon to be a brain, heart, lung and kidney multi-specialty center.
BGHMC’s growth is exponential. Its human capital increased. Its expansion in terms of structure is on the upsurge. Its services improved and enhanced to meet the growing demands of the Filipino people.
These are proof that the hospital flourished and thrived in 115 years.
1. The hospital started with only 4 staff: 1 doctor, 1 nurse, 1 cook and 1 assistant. In 2002, it was 619. Steadily it grew, especially because of the rationalization plan and now, there are 1,258 as of May 2017.
The volume of positions and influx of applicants for the recent filling up of positions necessitated faster processing time for the hiring of personnel. BGHMC proudly created the first-of-its-kind Human Resource Management Information System (HRMIS) that facilitates the filling up of various position with the proper tracking of item numbers as well as the sum of vacant positions still to be filled. This HRMIS system is a prototype for the unique requirement from large agencies, especially that of hospitals, where swift synchronization and retrieval of data and information of its personnel is achieved. Even the Civil Service Commission is impressed with the functionality of this IT feature within the organization.
Technology is further maximized with the addition of an on-line application procedure that helps trace applications. It further helps the HR personnel in making quick profiles of applicants, a document that is helpful is assessing a candidate much better.
2. On January 2017, BGHMC is one of the first agencies to be awarded the ISO 9001:2015 certification in Baguio. As mandated by the Philippine government that all agencies must be ISO certified, the hospital even went further by having the latest certification, having only received the ISO 9001:2008 certification last 2014.This goes to show the commitment of BGHMC to be attain international standards of quality and be globally competitive.
3. In 1958, BGHMC was one of the identified 11 training hospitals all over the Philippines. Through the years, it gained recognition as a teaching institution in 13 Accredited Medical Services, as well as a training establishment for allied medical affiliated schools.
To date, these accredited medical services are Internal Medicine, Anesthesiology, Family Medicine, Dental, OB, Ophthalmology, ENT, Orthopedics, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery, Radiology and Pathology.
Doctors flock to the institution for residency training because they know they will get the best training and education from BGHMC.
4. BGHMC is known to be the primary referral healthcare facility north of Luzon. People from as far as Kalinga and Apayao, and even neighboring lowland provinces like Pangasinan have their medical consultations and procedures done in the hospital because it enjoys high trust ratings for affordable healthcare.
5. BGHMC continually addresses to improve by expanding its services. Apart from the Medical Services are the units that cater to the growing client base of the hospital. These units are the following: Out-Patient Department (OPD), Emergency Room (ER), Operating Room (OR), Pay Ward, Cancer, Out-patient Drug Treatment Rehabilitation Unit (ODTRU) and Women and Child’s Protection Unit (WCPU).Commitment of our professionals to address concerns of the Filipino people are not just confined to its Baguio constituents. In fact, the ODTRU linked with the LGU & PRO-COR of La Trinidad, Benguet to improve the plight of the drug rehabilitated individuals in the area. Near future endeavors are also a tie up with the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP). The WCPU also networked with LGUs & NGOs in La Trinidad and the province of Ifugao, so as to help out victims in the area.
6. The plans of the hospital to be multi-specialty center is already in the works. In that regard, facilities and structures are built and improved to parallel the phase by which the growth of the hospital is going.
Currently, the OPD is having its expansion plan being carried out. Likewise the psychiatry building is being erected.
In a few years’ time, the edifices in the hospital compound shall also include buildings that will house the brain, lung, heart and kidney center of the hospital.
7. The hospital, with Dr. Ricardo Runez at the helm, is continuing to empower its personnel with a series of learning and development activities and programs to help improve the competencies and capabilities of its work force.
The PETRO launched series of trainings for its staff to develop not just its hard skills, but more importantly, its soft skills. Of recent, there were trainings on Developing a Culture of Personal Excellence by none other than well-known expert Francis Kong, Mentoring the Mentors, EQ in the Workplace and Workplace Communication.
The hospital has grown by leaps and bounds, as shown by improvements it has undergone for more than a century. Its heart however remains, for it still aims to provide the quality healthcare for those who need it most.